I got a call at 6 in the morning from my friend "Susan". She was very upset: her husband has left her.
Susan is an old friend and I'm sympathetic. They've been married nearly a decade and have a young son.
But Susan's husband "Mick" is also one of my direct reports. I hired him on Susan's recommendation and he's a really solid worker. He does a good job, is well liked in the office, and I've come to depend heavily on him.
I'm distressed. I can't fire Mick because he's broken up with my friend. At the same time, it will be hard for Susan to remain my friend if I keep Mick as my employee and indeed professional confidante.
What should I do, personally or professionally?
Just keep professional with him, couples argue and make-up all the time. Imagine if they reunite in a couple of weeks.... or she is not telling you the whole story?
ReplyDeleteHave a meeting and tell him the truth... he may come up with a good solution like a lawsuit that ties your hands :)
ReplyDelete