Sunday, September 4, 2011

I told you we should have a fire drill

Last week, the transformer in our building blew up. It blew up the generator and the fire alarm as well.  We only knew about the fires because passers-by were honking and waving to us.  We ran down the stairs and piled into the street as the sound of explosions followed us from the basement.

When we moved in to our building in April, we were supposed to get a fire inspection certificate.  The guy from the city came over and told us to buy some fire extinguishers from - conveniently - his store which was just around the corner.  We bought them from somewhere else.

He hasn't been back but even without the inspection, I have asked our office manager why the fire doors are locked.  "So that the people downstairs can't come in" he says.  Just the week before I had reminded him (again) that people died at Nakumatt because of locked fire doors.  I had reminded him (again) that we need a fire drill.

Well we got our fire drill!  Luckily we all got out safely but I ask you - are the fire doors unlocked?  NO.  Did we learn a lesson?

No comments:

Post a Comment